GL.iNet routers have pre-installed OpenVPN server and client.
You can set up an OpenVPN server on GL.iNet router. Click
+ Generate a configuration file.
1) Server configuration
There are preset OpenVPN server configurations. You can also click
Modify to change them manually. Click
Apply when you finish.
2) Export OpenVPN configuration file
Export Config to download the OpenVPN configuration file which you need to upload when you are configuring your OpenVPN client.
3) Start the OpenVPN server
Start to start your OpenVPN server. Otherwise, you will not be able to connect to the OpenVPN server by using its configuration file.
OpenVPN client requires OpenVPN configuration file (.ovpn) to create the OpenVPN connection. If you have your own VPN service provider but you don't know how to get the configuration file, please refer to Get your configuration file.
+ Add a New VPN Configuration to upload the configuration file.
1) Upload your OpenVPN configuration file
Simply drag and drop your file to the pop up windows. It can be a single .ovpn file or a zip/tar.gz file which contains multiple .ovpn files.
Be careful that some .ovpn files use separated ca, cert, crl files. These files must be zipped together with the .ovpn file before upload.
2) Enter Description, Username and Password
Enter a description for your OpenVPN configuration file and then click
Submit to finish the upload process. In some cases, it will ask you to enter your username and password.
3) Connect to the OpenVPN server
You can now click
Connect to start the OpenVPN connection.
Once connected, you should find your IP address, data received/sent.
4) Manage configuration files
Management to check the list of configuration files. You can modify the Description, User name or Password of each configuration file. You can also add, delete a configuration file or even purge all your uploaded configuration files.
If your configuration file is a zip/tar.gz file which includes multiple ovpn files, you can choose an individual .ovpn file that you would like to connect in Server.
Get your configuration file
We have tested different VPN service providers. Therefore, if you don't know how to get the configuration file, you can follow the instruction below. However, you have to contact your service provider for the configuration file if they are not listed below.
If you have any problem in the setup of OpenVPN, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Login your AirVPN acoount
- Choose Config Generator on the left and then choose Linux as your operating system. Next, choose your preferred server.
- You will be able to see the download page of the configuration file.
*Information quoted from Astrill official instruction
- Generate and Download Astrill Openvpn configuration ZIP
- Type a Description like OPENVPN_GUI.
- Click on ADD to my certificates button.
- Once OpenVPN certificate is added, click on Download button.
*Information quoted from CyberGhost official instruction
- Login your CyberGhost VPN online account.
- Click My Devices -> Add a new device.
- Choose other and click Create new credentials.
- Choose Router.
- Input the name of the device and enable any feature that you need. Next, choose the Protocol, Country, Server group. You should also be able to find the Username and Password which you have to input when you are uploading the configuration file to the router. Finally, click Download Configuration.
*Information quoted from Astrill official instruction
- Log in to your account.
- Once you’ve logged in to the website, click on Set Up ExpressVPN on the Active Subscriptions page. This will take you to the Downloads page.
- Click on Manual Config on the left side of the screen and then select the OpenVPN tab on the right. You will first see your username and password and then a list of OpenVPN configuration files.
Find the location(s) you want to connect to (e.g., Los Angeles, New York, Hong Kong), then download and save the .ovpn file(s) to your desktop.
Note: Please have your username and password ready, as you will be asked to enter them later in the setup process.
- Login your FinchVPN account.
- Go to the Download page and click Download under FinchVPN OpenVPN Config.
- Choose Linux
- Choose the protocol based on your preference. Generally, you can choose the first one “Port 8484 over UDP”
- Remember to tick the box to include your username and password before download the file.
Download according to the service that you have subscribed:
- Open “proxpn.ovpn” with text editor and delete the “#” in line 4.
- Zip them into one file and upload to the router.
You can also change to other services, including:uk.proxpn.com - United Kingdom
nl.proxpn.com - Netherlands
sg.proxpn.com - Singapore
seattle.proxpn.com - Seattle
miami.proxpn.com - Miami
- Login with your StrongVPN account and then you will be able to see the summary of your VPN account. Click “Change Server”.
- Filter the servers by clicking OPEN and choose one of the server from the list.
- Go back to accounts summary and click Account Setup Instructions.
- Click Linux/Max config file.
- You can find different servers on their webpage: https://www.tcpvpn.com/home. Choose your preferred server.
- Choose your preferred server location.
- You will see the download page of the configuration file. Click Dowload Config (.ovpv).
If you are using TorGuard, you need to login the control panel and generate the ovpn file from the "Tools" menu. Please select "All", using udp or tcp and select Cipher. Then press
Generate Configand the zip file will be downloaded automatically.
The username and password for openvpn connection is different from your control panel login. You can change the service username and password in Security manual. You can generate a random login username and password.
The OpenVPN configuration files are available on the website of VPNBook: https://www.vpnbook.com/. The username and password are listed below the download link.
- Click OpenVPN Config file under the column “OpenVPN”.
- You will see the download page.
The OpenVPN configuration files are listed on the VPN Gate website according to the server location.
- Select a device
Choosethe desired server location
VPN Unlimited offers a large variety ofservers, namely 400+ in 70+ locations. In this case, let it be Germany.
- Select the VPN protocol
- Create a configuration
*Information quoted from VPN unlimited official instruction
Start out by logging in to your User Office, press Manage for the VPN Unlimited service, and follow a few simple steps:
Pick a device from the list or create a new one. If you are out of free slots, delete an old device or buy extra slots.
For the IKEv2 protocol, you will also need to specify your device’s platform.
Press Generate and you will get all the data required to set up a VPN connection.