Setup OpenVPN Client
OpenVPN is an open-source VPN protocol that makes use of virtual private network (VPN) techniques to establish safe site-to-site or point-to-point connections.
GL.iNet routers have pre-installed OpenVPN Client and Server.
We recommend WireGuard over OpenVPN because it is much faster. For setup a WireGuard Client, please check out here.
If you have already bought OpenVPN service from a provider, but you don't know how to get the configuration file, please refer to Get your configuration file.
We can setup OpenVPN Client via web Admin Panel and mobile app. For the mobile app, it has already integrated NordVPN.
Setup OpenVPN Client
There is a video tutorial as ExpressVPN as example, please check out here.
OpenVPN client requires OpenVPN configuration file (.ovpn) to create the OpenVPN connection.
Access to web Admin Panel, on the left side -> VPN -> OpenVPN Client
Upload your OpenVPN configuration file
Simply drag and drop your file to the pop up windows. It can be a single .ovpn file or a zip/tar.gz file which contains multiple .ovpn files.
Be careful that some .ovpn files use separated ca, cert, crl files. These files must be zipped together with the .ovpn file before upload.
You may encouter some problems, like not enough space, invalid file, authorization failed, all other VPN services must be stopped first, please check out here.
Enter Description, Username and Password
Enter a description for your OpenVPN configuration file and then click
Submit to finish the upload process. In some cases, it will ask you to enter the username and password. If you don't know the username and password, please contact the OpenVPN service provider.
Connect to the OpenVPN server
You can now click
Connect to start the OpenVPN connection.
If your configureation file is an archive file, like .zip, you can switch server at the cog icon.
Once connected, you should find your IP address, data received/sent.
Note that you can't running VPN Client and Server at the same time, and also can't running OpenVPN Client and WireGuard Client at the same time.
Manage configuration files
Management to check the list of configuration files. You can modify the Description, User name and Password of each configuration file. You can also add, delete a configuration file or even purge all your uploaded configuration files.
If your configuration file is a zip/tar.gz file which includes multiple ovpn files, you can choose an individual .ovpn file that you would like to connect in Server.
Get your configuration file
We have tested different VPN service providers. Therefore, if you don't know how to get the configuration file, you can follow the instruction below. However, you have to contact your service provider for the configuration file if they are not listed below.
If you have any problem in the setup of OpenVPN, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Download OpenVPN client configuration files. We recommend going into NordVPN recommended server utility here. It will recommend a server base on your network, click
Show available protocols to download the UDP or TCP config.
Of course you can download all servers configs here.
Tips: if the zip file is too big to upload, you can delete some .ovpn in .zip file or upload single .ovpn file.
If you are using TorGuard, you need to login the control panel and find Config Generator from the Tools menu. Choose the VPN Server and some other options. Then click Generate Config a config file will be downloaded automatically.
The username and password for OpenVPN connection is different from your control panel login. You can find the VPN username and VPN password below.
- Login your Proton VPN account.
- Click "Download" in the left-hand side.
- Choose Router
- Choose the protocol based on your preference and download the configuration files.
*Information quoted from Expressvpn official instruction
- Log in to your ExpressVPN account.
- Once you’ve logged in to the website, click on Set Up ExpressVPN on the Active Subscriptions page. This will take you to the Downloads page.
- Click on Manual Config on the left side of the screen and then select the OpenVPN tab on the right. You will first see your username and password and then a list of OpenVPN configuration files.
Find the location(s) you want to connect to (e.g., Los Angeles, New York, Hong Kong), then download and save the .ovpn file(s) to your desktop.
Note: Please have your username and password ready, as you will be asked to enter them later in the setup process.
- Login your AirVPN acoount
- Choose Config Generator on the left and then choose Linux as your operating system. Next, choose your preferred server.
- You will be able to see the download page of the configuration file.
*Information quoted from Astrill official instruction
- Generate and Download Astrill Openvpn configuration ZIP
- Type a Description like OPENVPN_GUI.
- Click on ADD to my certificates button.
- Once OpenVPN certificate is added, click on Download button.
*Information quoted from CyberGhost official instruction
- Login your CyberGhost VPN online account.
- Click on 'My Devices' > click 'Other' > choose 'Configure new device'.
- At the new screen, in the 'Server configuration' tab, the desired parameters can be configured. For the purpose of setting OpenVPN for your DD-WRT Router, choose 'OpenVPN' from the Protocol drop down menu. Your desired country and server group, as described below, need to be defined too:
- Protocol: For Router configurations, please choose OpenVPN
- Country: Since native protocol connections may only be used with exactly one server you now have to choose the country you want to surf from; the server to be used in this country will be chosen by CyberGhost automatically.
- Server group: Choose the server group and the OpenVPN protocol (UDP or TCP) you want to use:
UDP allows higher speed than the TCP version, but can result in broken downloads in some cases. This is the default setting.
TCP allows more stable connections than the UDP version, but is a bit slower. Choose this version, if you have recurrent connection issues such as sudden disconnections.
After setting up your preferred settings, save them with 'Save and download configuration'.
Download FastestVPN Config Files zip folder for OpenVPN TCP and UDP from here.
- Login your FinchVPN account.
- Go to the Download page and click Download under FinchVPN OpenVPN Config.
- Choose Linux
- Choose the protocol based on your preference. Generally, you can choose the first one “Port 8484 over UDP”
- Remember to tick the box to include your username and password before download the file.
- Login your HideIPVPN account.
- Go to Package on the left side, click the your package, make sure it is active.
- On the VPN tab, there is VPN Login Details of username and password, this is for login when OpenVPN connection
- Scroll down to download OpenVPN config files.
- Login your Hide.me account, find the Server Locations on the left side.
- Download the OpenVPN Configuration for Windows.
You can download all of the config files for all of the servers from here, then should upload this config.zip on the OpenVPN Client of web Admin Panel. Before uploading, please remove the servers in the .zip file that you will not use to reduce the file size.
You can also download individual server configuration files here, but you will need to download ca.ipvanish.com.crt as well. Before uploading to the router, you need to compress the ca.ipvanish.com.crt and .ovpn configuration files into a .zip archive and upload them.
Download the OpenVPN config files.
Find the Account ID on IVPN Client Area.
When drag the config file to Add a New OpenVPN Configuration, you will be asked to enter User Name and Password. The User Name is your Account ID that begins with letters 'ivpn'. The password can be anything, like "ivpn"
Just login, then you can easy get the OpenVPN configurations file by click the menu below.
Choose the server and download.
The username and password are the same you login OVPN.
- Login with your StrongVPN account and then you will be able to see VPN Accounts Summary. Click Account Setup Instructions”.
- Find the Manual setup section, follow the steps to get configuration.
- Click OpenVPN Config file under the column “OpenVPN”.
- You will see the download page.
The OpenVPN configuration files are listed on the VPN Gate website according to the server location.
- Select a device
Choosethe desired server location
VPN Unlimited offers a large variety ofservers, namely 400+ in 70+ locations. In this case, let it be Germany.
- Select the VPN protocol
- Create a configuration
*Information quoted from VPN unlimited official instruction
Start out by logging in to your User Office, press Manage for the VPN Unlimited service, and follow a few simple steps:
Pick a device from the list or create a new one. If you are out of free slots, delete an old device or buy extra slots.
For the IKEv2 protocol, you will also need to specify your device’s platform.
Press Generate and you will get all the data required to set up a VPN connection.
- Access the Members Area to make a custom config using the Config Generator.
- Choose the Protocal to UDP or TCP, the OpenVPN version, and the location. Then to download the configuration.
- Go to the web Admin Panel, default is http://192.168.8.1, OpenVPN Client --> Add a New OpenVPN Configuration
- It will pop up a dialog.
- Drag the .ovpn file jsut downloaed to the dialog, it will ask username and password. Input the credentials and click Submit.
- Choose the configuration name and click Connect.
These video tutorial as ExpressVPN as example to setup OpenVPN Client.
4 Common Problems and Solution When Configuring OpenVPN